Coffee and banana seem like an unlikely combination, but the flavors complement each other incredibly well. Simply leave out the coffee if youâ€™re not a fan, but it adds a nice additional flavor that isnâ€™t too strong. These muffins are simultaneously fluffy and also hearty due to the oats and make a great portable breakfast. With 265 calories for a big muffin (or 198 for a smaller one), theyâ€™re not incredibly unhealthy either. Everyone wins!
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 9 big muffins or 12 smaller ones
2 medium sized bananas, mashed
3/4 cup milk mixed with 3 tsp instant coffee or instant espresso (itâ€™s okay if itâ€™s not entirely dissolved)
1.5 cups white flour
1 cup rolled oats (not instant oats)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 200C (400F)
2. Line muffin tins with muffin papers.
3. In a large bowl, mix together: mashed bananas, coffee milk, sugar, egg, vegetable oil, salt and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl in this order: flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda. Stir everything together well combined.
5. Gently spoon the batter into the muffin tins, leaving about 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) of space at the top of the paper for it to rise.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes – the muffins should be browned. Let cool for about 20 minutes and then enjoy!
Note: Inspired by the banana muffins found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Oat-Muffins/Detail.aspx