This is perhaps one of the ultimate comfort foods. My version of this popular dish is made with vanilla, cinnamon, and chunks of sweet apple. It has a custardy texture inside, and is crunchy on the outside. It can be served warm, with a bit of milk, or even whipped cream if you’re feeling decadent.
Time: 40 min (including prep)
3 cups of plain oats (not instant-oats, or steel cut, those won’t work)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
113g butter (1/2 cup) melted
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 large apple, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 190C (375˚F).
2. Mix together the wet ingredients first, and then add the apples. Stir to make sure it’s all mixed together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
4. Combine everything in one bowl. The mixture will be soupy, don’t worry, the oats will soak up the liquids.
5. Grease a 13×9 pan or baking dish. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 30 minutes or until browned on the top, and if feels firm to the touch.