This is perhaps one of the ultimate comfort foods. My version of this popular dish is made with vanilla, cinnamon, and chunks of sweet apple. It has a custardy texture inside, and is crunchy on the outside. It can be served warm, with a bit of milk, or even whipped cream if you’re feeling decadent.
Time: 40 min (including prep)
3 cups of plain oats (not instant-oats, or steel cut, those won’t work)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
113g butter (1/2 cup) melted
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 large apple, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
2. Mix together the wet ingredients first, and then add the apples. Stir to make sure it’s all mixed together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
4. Combine everything in one bowl. The mixture will be soupy, don’t worry, the oats will soak up the liquids.
5. Grease a 13×9 pan or baking dish. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 30 minutes or until browned on the top, and if feels firm to the touch.