These are an old time classic updated for an adult palate. The Â cookies are a staple in my kitchen, and I love baking them for friends. I add rum and vanilla extracts (also known as “rum and vanilla essences”), and I’m sure you could get creative as well. So there you go, a simple intro for a simple recipe. Enjoy!
Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 30 cookies (recipe can easily be halved)
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups margarine
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
1/4 cup white sugar for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the margarine and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Beat the eggs and vanilla into the sugar mixture.
5. Then gradually beat in the dry ingredients until just blended. (Only beat until it’s blended, if you beat the mixture too long your cookies will come out tough.)
6. Line baking trays with parchment paper and place walnut sized spoonfuls of dough about 2 inches apart.
7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned at the edges.
8. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.