This is the most versatile muffin recipe ever. You can basically make these muffins any flavour you want, just by swapping out the vanilla for other extracts or essences. It could be for breakfast, it could be for dessert, you can seriously get creative. It’s moist on the inside, has a bit of crunch on the outside, and it’s hard to screw this one up. I’ll post the original recipe here, and list the successful variations I’ve tried so far.
1 cup caster sugar (white sugar)
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla essence (vanilla extract)*
1/2 cup milk
1.5 cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
1.75 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 175C (350F) and grease a cupcake tin.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until they’re light and fluffy.
- Then beat in the eggs, vanilla* and milk.
- By hand, mix the flour and baking soda into the liquid mixture. Pour the resulting batter into the cupcake tin, filling each cup half way.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and the edges are golden brown.
* replacing the vanilla with other flavours is what makes this recipe so interesting. Below are some variations. The key is… stick with 2 teaspoons of whatever you are replacing it with! Otherwise you’ll end up with dry or soupy muffins.
Espresso Rum: 1 tsp of instant coffee dissolved in 1 tsp of hot water, 1 tsp of rum essence, 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. The result is like the best mocha you’ve ever had.
Egg Nog: 1 tsp of rum essence, 1 tsp of vanilla, 1 dash of cinnamon. The result tastes like egg nog.
Raspberry Lemonade: 1 tsp of lemon curd, 1 tsp of raspberry jam. The result tastes like raspberry lemonade.
Orange Vanilla: 1 tsp of orange essence and 1 tsp of vanilla essence. The result tastes fantastic – like sorbet.