My mother makes these cookies every Christmas, and I usually end up spending the entire day trying not to eat the entire batch. They’re chocolatey, almondy, and have a rich texture like soft shortbread.
Yield: 2 dozen
½ cup caster sugar (white sugar)
170 grams (3/4 cup) butter softened
1 tsp almond essence (almond extract)
1 ½ cups white flour (all-purpose flour)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Heat the oven to 190C (375F).
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the flour and cocoa. Beat the mixture at medium speed until light and fluffy (2-3 min).
- Gradually add the flour and cocoa until well mixed (2-3 min).
- Shape the dough into rounded teaspoonfuls and place the them 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove them quickly and let them cool on a metal rack.