Paneer fried rice is one of those “hmm what do I have in the fridge” concoctions that turned out spectacularly. Paneer is an Indian cheese, similar to halloumi or a solid ricotta cheese that can be cut into squares. This dish makes a great side for grilled vegetables or meats. If you want to make it vegan, use very firm tofu and a bit of additional salt.
Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 2
125g paneer cut into dice sized cubes
1 cup cooked basmati rice
1/2 cup peas
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 small pinch of cumin seeds
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
Salt and pepper
1. Heat up oil in a wok or large pan on medium/high heat
2. When the oil is shimmering, add in the cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste. Stand back as there may be some splatter from the water evaporating.
3. Swirl the cumin seeds and paste around until fragrant, and then add the paneer, stirring constantly and quickly.
4. Once the paneer has browned slightly, add in the rice and peas.
5. Continue stirring and when the ingredients are well integrated, add the soy sauce and garam masala.
6. Continue stirring and, if you want, add the cayenne last. Add salt and pepper to taste.