Hearty and chock full of vitamins, this spinach pie is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Slice into small pieces for a party snack, or serve for dinner with some bread and a salad. This pie has 3 different types of cheeses and a delicious flaky crust. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon or even a dash of hot sauce if you’re feeling sassy.
Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4-6 as a main dish or 12 as a snack
2 boxes frozen spinach
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
1/4 cup chopped spring onions
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1/3 cup crumbled feta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (panko or plain)
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp dried basil
1 sprig fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tsp cracked sea salt
spray cooking oil
1 lemon (for serving)
1. Preheat the oven to 190C (375F).
2. Take out the frozen puff pastry to thaw.
3. Thaw the frozen spinach and press out as much of the water as you can.
4. Mix all ingredients (except for the puff pastry) in a large bowl until combined.
5. Grease the bottom of a square baking pan, and put down the first sheet of pastry. The pan should allow for the puff pastry to come up the sides about one third to halfway.
6. Put the spinach mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
7. Top with the 2nd sheet of puff pastry and tuck it down the sides. It doesn’t have to meet the bottom layer of pastry completely, but if you can get it close it’ll hold everything in better.
8. Spray the top with a bit of cooking oil to help it brown.
9. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning halfway through, until the top is golden brown.
10. Let sit for 15-20 minutes to set before slicing with a sharp knife and serving with a wedge of lemon.
Calories: 435 (for 4 serves)