Hearty and chock full of vitamins, this spinach pie is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Slice into small pieces for a party snack, or serve for dinner with some bread and a salad. This pie has 3 different types of cheeses and a delicious flaky crust. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon or even a dash of hot sauce if you’re feeling sassy.
Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 as a main dish
2 boxes frozen spinach (approx 500g /18 oz)
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
1/4 cup chopped spring onions
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1/3 cup crumbled feta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (panko or plain)
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp cracked sea salt
1 lemon (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 190C (375F).
- Take out the frozen puff pastry to thaw.
- Thaw the frozen spinach and press out as much of the water as you can.
- Mix all ingredients (except for the puff pastry) in a large bowl until combined.
- Grease the bottom of a square baking pan, and put down the first sheet of pastry. The pan should allow for the puff pastry to come up the sides about one third to halfway.
- Bake the sheet of puff pastry for 15 minutes in the pan and then remove it from the oven.
- Put the spinach mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- Top with the 2nd sheet of puff pastry and tuck it down the sides using a spatula or similar implement. If you find you have extra puff pastry at the edges, you can trim it off.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes to set before slicing with a sharp knife and serving with a wedge of lemon.
Calories: 435 (for 4 serves)